Creative-Theology® Discussion [see www.Creative-Theology.org]

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

3/05/2012 2:25 pm  #1

Listening instead of preaching

Facilitation is not about people listening to you give a sermon.  Facilitation is about you promoting true learning.  True learning is when people internalize a subject so it becomes part of them---they no longer have to think about it, it's just there.  That's not just sitting in a lecture.  It's you taking the information that's potentially useful to you and applying it.  Facilitation helps people apply information of use to them.  That's engagement with a topic on a personal level.  Facilitators help a small group of people engage personally with a topic by directing conversation, allowing the people to struggle with the topic as it best applies to their own lives.  For example: instead of "listen to my lecture" it's "what do you think on this topic.  Jane, you first.  Then John, then George, then Alice...on around the group.  We'll listen and comment on each other's ideas in turns.  Meanwhile, I'll be taking the key information you come up with up here on the flip-chart.  Afterwards, we'll consider how to put things together to arrive at a group conclusion."  This is a whole different thing than a sermon: i.e. instead of the expert lecturing, it's where the fully mutually-informed group is considered "smarter" than any single person, including the preacher!

Dan

4/18/2012 1:05 pm  #2

Re: Listening instead of preaching

Of course the means must be tailored to the needs.  If you are addressing a large group that has little or no information about your topic, then certainly a formal "straight lecture" is appropriate.  However, even then if you can make it "interactive" you can increase the effectiveness of your talk: moving from simply "informing" to actual engagement and better "learning."  This can be done even in large groups by posing a KEY QUESTION for your audience to ponder on or even briefly discuss with the person sitting next to them.  Smaller groups, of course, can be engaged much more effectively by interactive questions between you and them---both intriguing them with your question(s) and inviting theirs in turn.

Dan

For Books and free Videos by Dr. Lyle see www.LylePublishing.com